If you are a fan of homemade rather than the regular, ready-made products, you may like to consider exploring recipes for organic laundry detergents for cleaning your clothes.
These detergents are cheap, affordable yet effective. Furthermore, they make sure of simple ingredients, especially borax, baking soda and washing soda, Basically, borax acts as a fabric softener and had it has mild bleaching properties.
Besides, washing soda works as an alkaline cleaning agent and degreaser. It helps remove dirt and odors, and is often used for softening hard water. Coming to baking soda, it works as a deodorizer.
To add fragrance to the recipe, you may include fragrant essential oils like lavender and rosemary oils as well. At times, food-grade glycerin is also used because it is a binder agent.
You can get these ingredients from your local grocery store. Thus, you can prepare liquid as well as powder laundry detergents at home. Plus, you shall find interesting recipes for homemade laundry soaps, too.
5 Homemade Organic Laundry Detergent Recipes
- At The Thrifty Mama, you shall find detailed instructions for making an organic laundry detergent liquid soap. It is estimated that this homemade laundry detergent shall cost about $ 5.17 for 5 gallons or more than 80 loads of laundry detergent.
If you want to include aromatic essential oils in your recipe, you can read up on how to use essential oil blends in homemade laundry soaps at ezinearticles.com.
- Those of you who do not want to use borax and washing soda in your organic laundry detergent can consider following this recipe given at eHow. It simply makes use of liquid castile soap, baking soda, and hot water.
- At Easy Aromatherapy Recipes, you shall find a fabulous recipe for liquid homemade detergent using natural soap bar, washing soda, borax, and aromatic essential oils like that of lavender, lemon, and grapefruit/clove.
If you have a top-load washer, use one cup of this detergent; in case of front-load washer, use half a cup. Before using the recipe, make sure you shake it thoroughly so as to dissolve the lumps of gel.
- There are a number of recipes for different homemade laundry products at Mother Earth Living website.
Apart from the simple washing powder, it gives recipes for Pre-Wash Stain Spray and Bleach/Brightener Substitute. Furthermore, at tipnut.com, you shall find 10 homemade laundry soap detergent recipes.
- You can find an interesting recipe for making your own natural laundry detergent at home at Passionate Homemaking website.
If you want to include essential oils in the recipe to make it fragrant, the site recommends adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil on a rag and put it in the dryer along with the other clothes. This helps add fragrance but does not cause any damage to the clothes.
Besides, the site suggests using non-toxic Charlies soap for tough cleaning jobs. Plus, it suggests using soap nuts (wrapped in a cotton bag) in case you need a natural cleaner which is safe for sensitive skin. It helps brighten the colors and has a less sudsing action.